Frequenetly Asked Questions
General Questions
What are the licensing requirements for an XRF Analyzer?


Any person or company employee intending to operate these devices in Canada MUST be certified by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) as an XRF Operator – Level 1 or Level 2. The Company must also be registered with their appropriate provincial or territorial agency where the device will be stored and used.NRCAN Application Process

Alternatively, Niton XRF analyzers containing X-Ray tubes can be configured as benchtop models. Benchtop systems are not subject to licensing by NRCan, as their operation is restricted by safety features and provisions.


Any Company intending to have their employees operate an XRF analyzer utilizing a radioactive isotope MUST be licensed to possess the isotope by the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC).Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission

How do I order supplies for my Analyzer?

Elemental Controls can provide consumables and field replaceable parts for your analyzer. Contact our Service & Support Team by phone at (866) 544-9974 ext 2, by email at or you can Request Parts Online

Can I rent an analyzer?

Elemental Controls can provide rentals or service loaner instruments depending on the application and the availability of units in our instrument pools.

For rentals, please contact our Sales Team or Request Rental Info Online

For service loaners, please contact our Service & Support Team or Request A Loaner Online

Service & Support Questions
Where do I ship my instrument for servicing?

All service, calibration, and repairs are performed out of our Mississauga facilities.

Prior to shipping your instrument to us, please ensure that you contact our Service Department for a Return Materials Authorization (RMA) form. This form is required for all services we perform.

Once you have obtained an RMA, you can proceed to ship your instrument to:

Attention: Service Department
Elemental Controls
3230 Wharton Way
Mississauga, ON L4X 2C1

What are the shipping requirements for shipping portable XRF Analyzers in Canada?


Any person or company who is shipping a Niton XRF analyzer containing a radioactive isotope must first ensure the follow criteria have been met:

  • A leak test certificate dated no more than 12 months prior, must be placed in an envelope and attached to the outside of the analyzer’s box or package.
  • The package must have two UN-2911 designation labels placed on two opposing sides. The UN-2911 labels MUST have a red (dashed) border.Download printable UN-2911 Label
  • The Consigning person or company has a CNSC license permitting the possession of the sealed source, and that the license has not expired.

It is highly recommended that any isotope based Niton analyzers be shipped in their original holster, which contains lead shielding for added security and protection.


Any person or company who is shipping a Niton XRF analyzer containing an X-Ray tube must only ensure that the battery is removed from the instrument prior to shipping.

How often do I need to leak test my instrument?


Canadian regulations require that all isotope based XRF analyzers have a leak test performed once every 12 months. If the instrument is kept in storage for more than 12 months, the instrument must be leak tested as soon as it is taken out of storage, before it is put into use.

If the instrument is involved in an accident where the instrument's housings are severely damaged, a leak test should be performed preventatively to ensure that the source holder has not been compromised.


X-Ray tube based analyzers do NOT require leak testing.

How do I leak test my instrument?

Leak testing is easy, and can be performed by the user. To perform a leak test, you will need the following items:

  • Cotton swab or Q-Tip
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Plastic zip-loc bag

Once you have the materials listed above, you can proceed to perform the leak test. Download the Leak Testing Guide

The Leak Testing guide will contain further instructions on how to perform the swab test, and where to send the swab once the leak test is completed.

Where can I download software or documentation for my analyzer?

ThermoFisher Scientific - Virtual Center of Excellence (VCoE)

ThermoFisher Scientific has an online database where you can download desktop software, analyzer firmware, manuals, documentation, and more.

If you do not have a VCoE account, you will need to request an account first. A ThermoFisher representative will review your request, and provide approval (generally) within 1-3 business days.Request a VCoE Account

Once you have an account, you can log in and access all the available resources.VCoE Login